What information Civis collects
"Personal User Information" is any information about one of our Users which could, alone or together with other information, personally identify them or otherwise be reasonably linked or connected with them. Information such as a username and password, an email address, a real name, an Internet Protocol (IP) address, and a photograph are examples of “Personal User Information.”
Personal User Information does not include aggregated, non-personally identifying information that does not identify a User or cannot otherwise be reasonably linked or connected with them. We may use such aggregated, non-personally identifying information for research purposes and to operate, analyse, improve, and optimize our Website and Service.
Information users provide directly to Civis
We require basic information at the time of account creation. When you create your username and password, we ask you for a valid email address.
You may choose to give us more information for your Account profile, such as your full name, an avatar that may include a photograph, your biography, your location, your institutional or business relationship, and a URL to a third-party website. This information may include User Personal Information. Please note that your profile information may be visible to other Users of our Service if you authorize this disclosure.
How Civis uses the information you provide
- We use your Registration Information to create your account and to provide you with the Service.
- We use your Personal User Information, specifically your username, to identify you on Civis.
- We use your email address to communicate with you if you've said that's okay, and only for the reasons you’ve said that’s okay.
- We use Personal User Information when providing customer service and responding to support requests.
- We may use Personal User Information to invite you to take part in surveys, beta programs, or other research projects, subject, when necessary, to your consent.
- We may use your Personal User Information if it is necessary for security purposes or to investigate possible fraud or attempts to harm Civis or our Users.
Our legal bases for processing information
We rely on your consent to use your Personal User Information under the following circumstances: when you fill out the information in your user profile; when you decide to participate in a research project or beta program; and for marketing purposes, where applicable. All this Personal User Information is entirely optional, and you can access, modify, and delete it at any time. While you are not able to delete your email address entirely, you can make it private. You may withdraw your consent at any time.
Generally, the remainder of the processing of Personal User Information we perform is necessary for our legitimate interest, for example, for Civis Website and Services’ legal compliance purposes, security purposes, or to maintain ongoing confidentiality, integrity, availability, and resilience.